If you’re in the market for a brand new TV, there are plenty of options available. You can choose between different sizes, brands and features. But should you opt for a smart TV? Smart TVs are unique because they have built-in Wi-Fi capabilities, allowing you to stream and browse the internet from the television.
Nowadays, everyone is connected. Whether you’re using a laptop, a tablet or a smartphone, being able to access the internet has become a necessity. But before you pull out your wallet to purchase a new smart TV, there are a few things you need to know.
Pros of a Smart TV
- You don’t need a streaming device. Streaming movies and television programs require a device with streaming capabilities, such as an Apple TV or a gaming system. The benefit of buying a smart TV is that you don’t need anything else. Your television does all the work, making it possible to watch TV and stream all in one. And without an extra streaming box, there’s less clutter on your TV console.
- You can listen to music. If you love music just as much as you love watching TV, a smart TV might be a wise investment. Not only do smart TVs come with apps for streaming TV and movies, many smart TVs also come with music apps, like Spotify and Pandora. Hook up your smart TV to a sound system and have a party in your own living room.
- You can access social media. If you’re also connected to social media and regularly use Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, a smart TV also provides the ability to access your social media accounts directly on your TV. Granted, you might prefer using your tablet or smartphone for social media, since these are handheld devices, but it’s definitely an option that’s nice to have.
- You can use one remote for everything. Juggling multiple remotes can be annoying. You might have a remote for your television, another for a media player and another for streaming. With a smart TV, one remote controls everything. Use the TV’s remote to change the channels, adjust the volume, as well as access any apps on the television.
Cons of a smart TV
- You’ll pay more. Although a smart TV includes many innovative features, you’ll pay more for this technology. The cost of a smart TV varies depending on the brand and size, and you might end up paying as much as 25 percent more for one. Before getting one, seriously consider how often you’ll utilize its features. If you don’t stream or if you don’t need to access the internet from your television, you can save money by opting for a regular television.
- You have to type using a remote. Keep in mind that browsing the internet and using apps with a smart TV may require typing with a remote control. And unfortunately, this can be a slow, tedious task. There is the option of purchasing a wireless keyboard for smart televisions. These keyboards are relatively inexpensive, but make sure you get a keyboard that’s compatible with your television brand.
- You have a limited selection of apps. Be mindful that some smart TVs limit the number of apps you can access. This varies by TV, so you’ll need to shop around. Some TVs let you download additional apps, whereas other TVs only allow use of preloaded apps.
Smart televisions are becoming increasingly popular as more people seek ways to simplify the streaming process. But don’t purchase a random smart TV just for the sake of purchasing it. Research, compare prices and make sure the TV offers the features you need.